Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Why I'm Taking JRN 105



My original career choice was sports journalism, having known that it was a path I desired to take since elementary school. My passion for writing and sports seemed like a perfect combination in translating over to the newspaper and blogging industry.

But once I entered college, transferring from Michigan State and CMU my freshman year, I found that finding a full-time job at a favorable publication wasn't going to as easy as originally intended. After seeing how many fellow writers were being laid off and fired due to downsizing and roll backs, I feared that for myself later on in life.

That's if I was able to get hired in the first-place, not knowing if there were going to be positions available following graduation. That's why I've slowly transitioned to the communications side of sports, hoping to land an opportunity with a professional franchise that wishes to add my talents.

Not to say that I've fully given up on the journalism dream, as I remain on staff at Central Michigan Life on its sports desk, covering football and women's soccer. I believe that staying attentive to both areas will make me stand out amongst other colleagues.

With that being said, continuing to improve and hone my craft stats with taking classes that relate to my passion, like JRN 105, where I can learn and truly understand the inner workings of popular social media website and why they're important to the industry.

That's also why I chose to attend Central Michigan for my undergraduate studies, hence the embedded Facebook video, for opportunity. It's here where I can work under and obtain valuable information from professionals that have been through this experience before. I feel other in this course have the same mindset, which has made these past few weeks very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment