Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Family Photo


When looking around my house for an item that held a lot of significance to me, it was pretty difficult. Not that there wasn't anything that I held true, but trying to come up with a detail explanation about the item wasn't proving to be successful.

That is until I walked by the picture frame that I bought for my mom on Mother's Day this past week. The wooden frame has the quote, "now you are home," and the picture has my entire immediate family, including my grandparents on both sides, smiling for a selfie on my sister's high school graduation ceremony last year.

This is a day that I'll never forget for a lot of reasons. Feeling like I was older than I actually was for the fact that my sister who's three years younger than me is heading off to college in a few months, but I remember vividly the smile that never left my mom's face that day. Of course, seeing her daughter walk the stage and receiving her diploma is a huge event for a mother, but this was the first time in a long time that both grandparents were together in person.

Not to say that they have animosity towards each other, far from it, but circumstances prevented them from being at events together. My grandma was just coming off the grief of her husband's death from Non-toxins Lymphoma and she had went into remission for lung cancer. So the couple years prior to my sister's graduation, leaving the house or hospital proved to have its strains.

My other grandparents continued to be busy with traveling the world during retirement, seeing the places they wish they saw as younger adults but as doctors, the time spent outside of the bigger hospital in Marquette, Michigan, was few. They also made sure to have quality time with all of their grandchildren, who lived in Metro Detroit like my sister and I, as well as Seattle, Washington, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

My sister's graduation couldn't have come at a better time for means of celebrating and moving forward from times of discomfort and stress. That's why my mom was so excited to see this day finally come and that's why I wanted to have the photo that was taken be framed in the dining room, right next to other photos taken of us throughout the years. My mom doesn't expect much in terms of extravagance on Mother's Day, so it's the simple things that make it worthwhile for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment